Not only you, but there are lots of people who need to know how to get rid of roaches? Roaches are the most common pests found in every house. Mostly, roaches’ sizes vary from 1 to 3 inches long. German, Oriental, and American Roach are three different species, that are found in the United States. Cocrochases can survive months without food and 2 weeks without water.
Different baby cockroaches may attract your home for different reasons. Knowing the type of roaches’ infestation can help to decide how to get rid of them. For example, the most common roaches which are found indoors are known as German roaches. The German roach likes water. So, reducing access to water sources and eliminate water leakage areas in your home help to reduce a roach infestation.
There are many ways to prevent cockroaches, one of the ways is proper food storage and maintaining the house cleaning to prevent roaches infection. In addition, we are explaining the methods that need to be implemented when your home is affected by Roaches.
Cockroaches come to your house in search of water, food, and a place to live. They grow their community very fast and can affect your health. So, it is very essential to get rid of roaches before they become a serious problem. They carry bacteria due to different diseases that occur like food poisoning, allergies, skin rashes, diarrhea, and they also produce a foul odor.
How To Get Rid Of Roches
To get rid of the roach, you need to remove the things that attract the roach. As you know roach comes to your house for food, water, and for a place to live. So you need to remove the food source, water source, and hiding areas in your house to help you to get out of roaches. Roaches prefer dark and warm places to hide in your home.
Remove Food Sources
Removing food sources for roaches is the most effective way to get rid of Roches from home. It is one of the most important steps in your roach control process. Use Sanitizer to clean your kitchen properly and also use sanitizer in other different areas to make a Roche-free home.
Don’t forget these points and the following areas while cleaning your home:-
- Roaches eat your pet food, you need to empty your pet food containers overnight and cover it properly.
- Roaches in the kitchen can live under oil and food and behind their appliances. Clean under the stove, fridge, microwave, toaster, dishwasher, and in and around the kitchen sink. So you need to Clean your Kitchen properly.
- Clean the floors of your home on a daily basis because roach egg sacs and their body parts have pheromones that attract other roaches.
- Roches are active and feeds at night so you need to clean your kitchen every night before going to bed is required. Mainly clean the sink and dry, wash all dishes, put all open foods in the refrigerator. You should also clean floors properly and leave nothing to eat for roaches.
- Chunks and food peels from stored food products provide an excellent source of food for roaches. Get rid of roaches by thoroughly cleaning the cabinets in your kitchen cabinets and removing this food peels.
- The roaches are small enough to get into cardboard packaging and loosely sealed boxes and plastic bags. Store food in metal, glass, hard plastic, properly sealed, or airtight containers.
- Placing all food in one area of the house will limit crumbs and food spreads, making it easier to focus on deep cleaning of a room in the house.
- Keep an eye on your dustbin, this is the source of waste food. You need to keep it clean and cover it properly.
Remove Water Sources
Another way to keep roach infestations away from your home is to remove all the accumulated water sources. You need to remove all the water sources that are accumulated to prevent roaches to enter your house.
Consider the following area of water sources:-
- Fix plumbing leakage and remove sweating pipes in your homes.
- Before going to bed at night, dry all tubs, sinks, and shower thoroughly, and plug all drains.
- Wet dishrags and sponges are placed in an airtight plastic bag at night. Or you can place it in the washing machine or on the outside hanging rope.
- Pet water bowls should be kept outside overnight dried and refill it in the morning.
- You must dry the wet toothbrush and place it in a sealed bag or container.
- Remember to empty the drip tray from the bottom of the refrigerator.
Eliminate Hiding Places
Roaches like to live in small, dark places and they typically hide in those places during the daytime. When you eliminate hiding location, roaches will find a new location for hiding. At that time roaches are easier to spot and comes across insecticides and baits.
Places where cockroaches nest can be found:-
- Seals cracks of walls gaps of windows and doors, etc.
- Put tape on holes and cracks that have heavy roach traffic.
- Computers and small appliances can serve as ports for all roaches.
- Ensure that windows and door frames are tight and gap-free to prevent entry from outside.
- Close the holes around pipes or other lighting and wall fixtures with materials like copper mesh.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Roaches
Boric acid is considered to be one of the best home treatments for cockroaches. To get the instant outcomes, take a bit of this boric powder and spatter it into your house corners and floors, or wherever you often see roaches, leave that place as it is. Keep in mind if you use wet powder, then it will not become effective as dry. This powder is lethal, so make sure to keep it away from children.
This home remedy works as bait for pests or roaches. To apply this, first, mix some sugar in baking soda. This combo works perfectly to attract insects and force them to taste the mixture. In addition, this treatment is beneficial to prevent the reproduction of pests. To use this mixture, first look for the roaches home and directly apply this mixture to them.
We all know the benefits of neem, it is a natural medicine to cure several diseases, but it is also one of the best natural pest repellents. You can use neem in both solid and liquid forms. If you want to use it in oil, mix some oil with water and spray in places where you have noticed cockroaches. However, if you use the Neem powder, all you have to do is sprinkle it in the infected areas of the Cockroach at night and repeat the same method in the morning.
Essential oils are beneficial in many healthcare like aromatherapy, skincare, etc. But do you know these oils as a pest repellent? Peppermint oil is one of the most efficient methods to prevent roaches. To use this remedy, prepare a solution of saltwater and mint oil and spray it on the contaminated areas of the house. You will surely get good results after two weeks of continued use.
Don’t want to use the readymade market products to kill roaches because of concentrates chemicals? You can use fabric softener as an alternative for market repellents. To use this, first, mix fabric softener with water and store it in a spray bottle. Whenever you find any cockroach, directly spray the DIY mixture on it and leave it. If you have a large-scale infestation, then it might not work effectively for you.
Did you know your kitchen spice cabinet has a perfect solution for roaches? Yes, Bay leaves are the best simple hack to get rid of cockroaches. To apply this hack, grind some bay leaves and spatter them in your closets or wherever you find roaches often. You can boil bay leaves and keep the water in a spray bottle to directly apply to bugs.
This article will help you to get rid of roaches in your place. It is important to keep cockroaches away from your place because they are carriers of various types of disease-causing germs on their body. Keeping all the tips in your mind and implement them soon at your place. You also don’t want these uninvited guests to roam around your place unneccesarily. You can always take assistance from pest control exterminators that have specialized tools and will inspect your house thoroughly and help you to get rid of roaches from your place.
Kari Hoch is the content head at PestAsk.com. She along with her team exhaustively research to provide you the simple, eco-friendly hacks and the best products reviews that can protect your home and office space from harmful pests and rodents.