There are several symptoms that arrive whenever a spider bites. It may take several days or even weeks to cure spider bites. You should avoid the spider bite at any cost because they are poisonous and painful to humans. But if somehow it happened then you can use home remedies for spider bites at home for instant relief.
Firstly, spiders bite due to their defensive mechanisms and they don’t need humans as prey. Secondly, home spiders or Hobo spiders pose a little threat to humans but black widow spiders and brown recluses can be deadly so you will be required medical attention. Rushing to the hospital should be the first thing to do because you’ll never know what happens later. The spider bite begins to show its symptoms after a few hours. The spider bite side effects are as follows:-
- Severe swelling
- Stiffness and intense pain
- Muscle spasms, and body shivering
- Vomiting, difficulty in breathing, and Abdominal Pain
- Excessive sweating
Spider bite may cause vomiting, fever, body pain, skin allergy. You need to take some precautions to avoid any more problems. There are few homemade remedies that can be helpful to you to lessen the pain of spider bites.
What Does A Spider Bite Look Like?
Usually, you will not notice a spider bite for several hours after being bitten. It will be easier to cure a spider bite if you can identify the spider that bites you. You can spot a spider bite on your skin if you see any of the following:
- Inflammation or swelling
- Red spots
Living in areas where spiders naturally dwell (mainly in dark places, including under rocks) can increase the risk of spider bites. In the next section, we will look at the symptoms of a spider bite.
Immediate steps you have to take after spider bite
- Keep calm, don’t panic.
- Wash the bitten surface with antibiotic soap and water, then dry with a clean cloth.
- If possible, lift the bite off the heart to improve blood flow.
- Place an ice pack over the bite to relieve pain.
- If pain insists, take an over-the-counter pain reliever like ibuprofen.
- Using antihistamines may be helpful for itchy bites.
Home Remedies For Spider Bites
There are some effective ways to treat the spider bite at home
At the very first, clean the skin area with soap and water where you got spider bite. After thorough cleaning use the Ice pack, it will reduce the burning pain, itching sensation, and swelling.
- Apply the cold compress for about 10 minutes and do it regularly within 24 hours.
- Wash the infected area again and again with the cold water.
2. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a popular method in the home remedy process. Due to its alkaline property, it helps to draw out the venom. And neutralize the poison of spider bite. You need only a few things such as
- A teaspoon of baking powder and water to make a smooth paste.
- Use the paste to the bitten areas and leave it for about 10 minutes to dry.
- Wash with water after the paste is getting a little dry.
- You can do it daily until redness and itching are getting low.
This is a great alternative cure for spider bites. It neutralizes the venom and works as powerful anti-inflammatory qualities and works on the swelling in an efficient way. To make a paste you need
- 2 tablets to mix it until it becomes a paste.
- Use this paste immediately to the skin.
- Keep it on the infected area for at least two hours then wash it with water.
- Iterate this method till the marks are no longer available.
4. Aloe Vera
The Aloe vera plant gel also works to cure spider bites. Aloe vera is a natural antiseptic that reduces pain, swelling, and itching. To get the gel firstly you need to wash an aloe vera leaf and cut it to extract the gel out of it, apply the gel in your infected area. Repeat this process until symptoms are gone. Don’t forget to keep the remaining gel in the refrigerator.
5. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel contains tannins which are a bioactive ingredient that possesses anti-inflammatory properties in nature. This could be used to manage the inflammation which causes pain in the spider bite and redness.
- To use this you need witch hazel extract oil and Sterling cotton ball or Q-tip to apply the oil.
- Use directly this oil on the infected area and let it dry. Apply this process in the affected area 3-4 times in a day until redness and swelling reduce.
Do you know that potato is not only delicious in taste but is more than that it can help you to relieve pain and swelling which occurs due to the bite of the spider? Results show that there are compounds that help to counteract the inflammatory effect of a spider bite.
Use the potato and slice it without removing the peel. Take one slice of potato with its peel and rub it on the spider bite. Again take a new slice of potato and wrap it against the bite area with a bandage. Repeat this treatment till symptoms are gone.
7. Activated Charcoal
It is also a very effective treatment for spider bites is activated charcoal, as it is known to extract and absorb harmful substances. Follow the below steps to use activated charcoal. First, Mix some crushed activated charcoal with a little water to form a paste. Next, wash the bite with soap and water. Then, apply the mixture to the wound, then cover the wound with a bandage to make sure it stays in place. After 3 hours, remove the bandage; Reapply a new batch of patches and a new bandage. Repeat as needed every 3 hours until symptoms disappear.
Prevention steps from spiders bite
Usually, spiders are not aggressive by nature. Most bites happen when people tease a spider or the spider feels scared. For example, bites can occur when wearing clothes or shoes with spiders. Spiders usually remain out of sight, often in dark holes and sheltered areas. Ways to avoid spider bites include:
- Look for the spiders before lifting trunks or stones from a heap.
- Dress long sleeves and gloves when gardening.
- Avoid debris gathering in the backyard.
- keep your garages, attics, and foundations clean.
- Remove empty cardboard boxes from your living space.
- Place glue traps near baseboards or behind doors,
- Fix all clefts or cracks in the house
These home remedies will help you to cure spider bite treatment at home. However, we suggest you should consult the doctor if the bite still appears even after using these home remedies and prevent any lethal consequences in the future as spider bite is dangerous to human health. It is advisable not to avoid early symptoms, consult your doctor immediately.
Kari Hoch is the content head at PestAsk.com. She along with her team exhaustively research to provide you the simple, eco-friendly hacks and the best products reviews that can protect your home and office space from harmful pests and rodents.