Mosquitoes are very disturbing, especially in summer. In summer, spending time out-of-doors is more enjoyable than ever. But every time, there’s a new danger to concern about is mosquitoes. In addition to bites, tiny blood-sucking creatures such as mosquitoes and ticks can also transmit serious diseases from animals to humans.
The mosquitoes bite leaves red, irritating, and itchy patches on the skin. But in fact, protecting yourself from mosquitoes is just as crucial as applying sunscreen in summers to protect from direct UV rays.
So, here we have assembled the best mosquito repellents and sprays to ensure your safe and mosquito-free environment. Check out the various important characteristics of the different types of mosquito repellent below and choose the one that best suits your preferences!
Experts Recommendations On Best Mosquito Sprays And Repellents in December 2021
1. Sawyer Picaridin Insect Repellent
Picaridin insect repellent provides a reliable safeguard against mosquitoes and is considered to be more powerful than DEET. This lotion lasts 14 hours longer than most mosquito sprays and provides protection whenever and wherever you need it. Sawyer Picaridin insect repellent is safe for the whole body. Unlike other mosquito lotions, Sawyer insect repellent will not damage clothes, firearms, fishing lines, and other valuables.
This product was rated as a fisherman’s formula by Consumer Reports 2016 and was recognized as safe and effective. The lotion is also fragrance-free, so even if you don’t like certain fragrances, it is easy to apply.
Another advantage of Sawyer Products Repellent is its versatility. It not only protects you from mosquitoes but also protects you from ticks for about 14 hours and from flies, mosquitoes, sand flies, and chiggers for up to 8 hours.
- No harmful effect, safe for all humans and pets.
- Will not harm clothes
- Resists mosquitoes for about 14 hours
- After sweating, you need to reapply it.
2. Repel Sportsmen Max Aerosol Insect Repellent
When thinking about indoor repelling mosquitoes, you have many options. However, if you exercise outdoors, your options become more limited. In particular, for any outdoor activity, you need something that absolutely prevents you from mosquitoes. So here it is.
Repel Sportsmen Max aerosol repellent is formulated with DEET, a strong chemical that can repel mosquitoes around. DEET has been used in the United States for more than 50 years. Although there are doubts about its safety, its effectiveness is beyond doubt. DEET-based products are well-known for providing long-standing outdoor protection.
The spray is very suitable for easy application, long-lasting effect, suitable for all kinds of outdoor activities. In addition to DEET, this product also includes Pacaridin and Lemon Eucalyptus oil to prevent mosquitoes and their potentially infectious diseases.
The main disadvantage of this product is that it contains DEET, and prolonged contact can cause skin irritation, nausea, and even cramps. However, the amount of DEET required to treat overexposure has not been determined.
- Ideal product for outdoor use
- Simple, fast application
- A powerful blend of chemical and natural components
- It contains DEET, may be allergic to some people.
3. Kids Repellent Bands/Bracelets
When you consider the mosquito repellent for your house, then why should you leave kids out? Here are the natural and safe mosquitoes repellents products for your younger ones. When looking for the best mosquito repellent for your kids, you may want something that is fun, secure, and effective.
Luckily, the bright, cheerful Kids Repellent Bands/Bracelets in orange color can provide reliable protection for children. These straps can be worn as bracelets, ankles, and even as a choker for the best comfort and protection.
These bands are rich in essential oils of lemongrass, citronella, and geraniol, which can provide kids with hours of protection. The belt is also completely free of DEET, which is safe for children and pets.
This mosquito repellent band comes in a pack of 20 bands to provide reliable protection for all family members. Since these straps are flexible, you can adjust them as needed to provide protection outdoors. Repellent Bands/Bracelets are stretchy and comfortable to wear, it is also very suitable for adults. If you are worried that your child will be bitten by mosquitoes or just need to provide extra protection in mosquito-filled areas, this product must be a great choice.
- Good for children and adults and safe for pets
- DEET-free product
- Natural component-based product
- Stretchable and flexible
- Many users feel skin inflammation.
4. Murphy’s Naturals Mosquito Repellent Incense Sticks
Sometimes sprays are not ideal according to the event and situation, like while swimming applied sprays and lotions washed out because they are not water-resistant. Now, what to do? There is another alternative for this case, Mosquito Repellent Incense Sticks.
These mosquito repellent Sticks have a pleasant fragrance of essential oils of rosemary, mint, lemongrass, citronella, and cedar. The frankincense covers a radius of up to 12 feet and can repel mosquitoes for about 2.5 hours. Murphy’s Natural Mosquito Repellent Incense Sticks are suitable for both outdoor and indoor events.
Each pack of incense sticks contains twelve incense sticks, so no matter what you do, you can enjoy outdoor activities. Incense sticks can be placed in a stick holder or a pot filled with moist soil, but remember that a lighted incense stick will burn, you have to follow all the fire precautions rules as a candle.
- Contains natural plant-based components.
- No spray required
- Effective on bitten flies also
- Some people report that the smoke didn’t reach the desired area.
5. Thermacell Patio Shield Mosquito Repellent
Thermacell is well-known for pioneering innovations in chemical mosquito sprays for outdoor use. Thanks to advanced technology, this product can stop mosquitoes before they approach or harm you. Therefore, you are free to treat your neighbors, friends, family, and other guests on the terrace without annoying mosquitoes. Due to its colorless and odorless characteristics, this product will not let mosquitoes disturb your guests at a distance of up to 4.5 meters.
- DEET free product
- Repel mosquitoes without smog, fires, or citronella oil.
- Long-standing effects and fragrance-free
- compact, comfortable, and smart product.
- Moderately restricted coverage range.
6. Aspectek Upgraded 20W Electronic Bug Zapper
Aspectek Electronic bug zapper is specially designed for indoor pest control. For stubborn pests or mosquitoes, you can choose a wattage from 20W to 40W according to your need. In addition to mosquitoes, this product also repels flies, wasps, bed bugs, millers, and other small bugs.
The bug zapper attracts the pests first. Once the pest approaches, it will be provided with 20 or 40 watts of electricity. This electronic insect killer is easy to place in your home and is equipped with a mesh filter to prevent accidental attacks by pets and children. It is also easy to clean.
- Nature friendly
- Easily cleanable product
- Safe to use at home
- Not suitable for outdoor use
7. Summit Mosquito Dunks
The mosquito dunks are similar to doughnuts that float in standing water. When the dunk slowly dissolves in water, it releases toxic bacteria that can kill all types of mosquito larvae. Summits cakes are harmless to humans and pets. The active ingredient is a subspecies of bacteria called Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis.
Each summit mosquito dunk can kill mosquito larvae for about a month or more. It can cover more than 100 square feet of water. In addition, they can be used for all types of stagnant water, such as birdbaths, rain barrels, elevator shafts, tree wells, etc.
- Long-standing results
- Authorized for organic production practices
- Suitable for all kinds of standing water
- Not good for kids below the age of three years
Things to consider before buying mosquitoes spray
As per the CDC (U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), the below-mentioned mosquito repellent ingredients have been approved by the EPA and are totally safe for humans to use, and even pregnant or breastfeeding women can use:
- DEET is restricted to use for babies under the age of two months.
- Oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE), is restricted to use for babies under the age of three, as per the report CDC
- Para-menthane-diol (PMD), is restricted to use for babies under the age of three, as per the report CDC
The above ingredients are not effective in large areas. The following are recommended active ingredients for large-scale control of adult mosquitoes in residential areas:
- Piperonyl butoxide
What other factors to look at before choosing the mosquito repellents?
When you start using mosquito repellent, please consider the following:
- Make sure to review the product packaging, it contains an EPA-approved tag and enrollment number.
- Read carefully the complete label before applying the repellent or insecticide.
- Follow the given directions on the label carefully. Make sure to use the specified amount at a particular time and under the defined conditions.
- Always keep the pesticide out of the reach of children, preferably in an enclosed garden outbuilding or tool closet.
What are the natural methods to repel mosquitos?
Here are some natural ways to repel mosquitos, follow these accurately..,.
- Clean stagnant water: This is the most essential step because mosquitoes need water to reproduce, and stagnant water may include mosquito larvae. Throw it away, whether it is in your child’s outdoor toy or in a saucer in a backyard.
- Place yellow light bulbs outdoors: Bright white light brings more mosquitoes, so switching to yellow light can help reduce the occurrence of these pests.
- Wear protective clothing: According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, you don’t need to apply insect repellent to body parts covered by clothing, so if you can withstand high temperatures, long pants and long sleeves are a good idea! For advanced level protection, wear outfits that have been designed with permethrin (this is a pesticide that eliminates bugs and mosquitoes, and can be washed several times).
- Grow pest-repelling plants in your yard: Planting mosquito repellent plants such as lemongrass and marigold can help protect against other insects such as mosquitoes and fleas.
- Roast coffee trays and egg cartons: Light the coffee tray and egg carton, and let them burn in a safe place. Their burning smell can repel mosquitoes in the garden.
I Hope, now that you have a clear understanding of the mosquito repellents available, you can choose the mosquito repellent that best suits your needs. By picking mosquito repellant that is convenient to use can help you to prevent mosquito bites and keep yourself safe themselves outdoors. This list should be a good starting point for most environmental control choices.
Kari Hoch is the content head at PestAsk.com. She along with her team exhaustively research to provide you the simple, eco-friendly hacks and the best products reviews that can protect your home and office space from harmful pests and rodents.